The COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare the extent to which our individual health is dependent on the health of everyone in our community. Public healthcare is our best defense against this crisis and others like it. However, our ability to endure crises and care for each other has been eroded through decades of austerity budgets, privatization and inadequate planning. Unfortunately, our current crisis hasn't slowed our government in their plight to further erode and privatize our vital public health care.
We cannot allow this crisis to be used to dismantle universal, public health care in Alberta. We must renew our commitment to a system based not on profit, but on the shared belief that health care is a human right. Friends of Medicare is calling on Albertans to join us in holding our government to account, and urging them to resist privatization and to uphold the foundational principles of equity and compassion that underlie our public health care system.
On Friday, April 3, join us for a virtual rally and make your voice heard!
See the rally on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/152030662782188/
Take Action (while physically distancing!)
The COVID-19 pandemic means we can't rally as we normally would — so we're taking it to the internet! Here are three ways you can get involved on April 3rd, while keeping a responsible distance:
1. Share this graphic
Join our April 3rd virtual rally by sharing this image on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to show your support for our public health care system and the workers who keep it going! Make sure to use the hashtag #HandsOffOurHealthCare !
Urge them to reverse planned health care funding and staffing cuts, and tell them to keep their #HandsOffOurHealthCare ! For bonus points, include photos and stories that show how Alberta's health care cuts are impacting you and your family.
3. Call / Email your representatives
Contact the Health Minister and Premier and tell them to reverse their health care cuts and protect our public health care system! Make sure to CC us on your emails at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your MLA's contact information can be found here.
The only way to flatten the curve and minimize the impact of COVID-19 is for our governments to act quickly and decisively to bolster our public health care system. We need to be sure that they're doing everything they can to support our integral health care workers in providing care, and to support Albertans in self-isolating. We cannot allow this crisis to be used to dismantle universal, public health care in Alberta.
Some key points to get you started:
- We must restore capacity in our public hospitals by reopening facilities and beds that have been closed due to funding cuts and downsizing, and expand capacity under public and non-profit hospital governance.
- Alberta should follow the lead of Spain and bring for-profit health care. facilities — including seniors' care — under public control to enable a rapid and streamlined response in the public interest.
- We need improved supports for health care workers, including by adopting the strongest protective standards, enhancing recruitment and retention, and giving workers the resources and equipment they need.
- The government must reverse changes to physician compensation and return to the bargaining table, and commit to reversing cuts to front-line health care workers, even after the threat of this pandemic has passed.
- Alberta must address existing health inequities by removing barriers to access and scaling up services for marginalized communities.
- We need assurance that all services will be available free of charge and delivered publicly, including testing, vaccination, hospital stays and telehealth.
April 03, 2020 at 9am - 9pm